Thursday, March 22, 2007

Wasabisabi

3/22/2007...Memsahib's 20th birthday! I decided to take her somewhere nice (like I don't always), and choose the most high scale sushi restaurant in all of Hong Kong, Wasabisabi. Located on the top floor of Times Square in Causeway Bay, this place is all about show. When walking into the dining area, you walk in on a runway similar to those used in fashion shows. The setup is very nice indeed, and even Memsahib was impressed with the design and layout.

I had made sure to eat a little something before taking her out, and also insisted that we have the birthday cake (a nice 1/2lb. mango cake from a bakery in Kowloon City HK$45) before going to dinner. I wanted to make sure I wasn't too hungry because I knew the food would be expensive and likely small portions. I ordered a 12 piece cucumber-wrapped sushi sampler (cucumber takes the place of the seaweed), and a foie gras and Japanese cucumber appetizer. Memsahib ordered only 2 single pieces of sushi: one goose liver and one squid or octopus...I think. For drinks, I had a Passion Fruit Saketini, and she had a "luscious litchi" juice drink.

The foie gras appetizer was excellent, as foie gras usually is, but I wish I had more of it. We each had a small square of the foie gras along with one slice of cucumber. The sushi was pretty good, but definitely not worth the price. I didn't try her foie gras sushi, but it seemed that she really enjoyed it. The fruit saketini and her litchi juice were both very good, but I was quite disappointed with the martini glass not being filled anywhere near to the top. Overall, it was a good experience and a memorable night for both of us, but I don't imagine I would ever return.

No comments: